‘Radical Libyan Islamists ‘akin to Qaeda’ now terrorizing country’s east’
Washington: Just six weeks after launching a deadly attack on the US mission in Benghazi that killed four American diplomats, Libya’s armed Islamist extremists akin to al Qaeda, are now terrorizing the eastern city of Darna, it has emerged.
The extremists have continued to operate in Darna, despite the backlash that followed last month’s attack in Benghazi, 156 miles to the west, and despite fears of possible retaliation by the United States.
According to the Washington Post, for now, the militants appear to have taken cover in urban homes and farms in the remote Green Mountains that surround the city.
Officials have pointed out that the local government remains powerless to stop them, even as the extremists push their ideology just as fervently as before, the Post said.
According to the paper, the latest bombing in the eastern city came on early Thursday morning, when an explosion ripped through a building on the city’s outskirts that local authorities had hoped to use to support a new security force.
The locals said that the target was a car belonging to an official or journalist who has dared to defy the militias.
The paper quoted Tarik Sharqi, a fundamentalist imam in Darna, as saying those who adhere to the militias’ ideology have a simple goal-the implementation of Islamic law, or sharia.
He also pointed out that they want to see the United States pushed out of Muslim lands.
Locals considered the drones they now hear buzzing overhead “a form of occupation,” he said, adding Libyans would wage “jihad” to force them out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?