Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson charged with ‘illegaly paying officials’
London: Former News International chief Rebekah Brooks and David Cameron’s former director of communications Andy Coulson have been charged with illegally paying officials for information.
Coulson, who was the editor of the News of the World from 2003 until his resignation in 2007, has been charged with illegally paying for information from Buckingham Palace`s internal phone directory, known as The Green Book, the UK Crown Prosecution Service has announced.
The confidential directory includes home numbers for senior royals including the Earl of Wessex and the Princess Royal as well as the landline and mobile numbers of all royal household staff.
According to the Telegraph, Brooks, who edited both the News of the World and The Sun, is to be charged alongside the The Sun`s long time former chief reporter John Kay, over alleged illegal payments to a Ministry of Defence employee, Bettina Jordan-Barber.
It is alleged Jordan-Barber, who is understood to be a senior official on the MOD``s Iraq desk, was paid in the region of 100,000 pounds between 2004 and 2011 for information which formed the basis of a series of news stories in The Sun.
The charges follow investigations conducted as part of Scotland Yard`s Operation Elveden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence