Rebels may get chemical weapons: Syrian govt
Damascus: The Syrian government has expressed concerns over the possibility of foreign countries providing the rebels chemical weapons and later frame the ruling-government.
"What raises concerns regarding this news circulated by the media is our serious fear that some of the countries backing terrorism and terrorists might provide the armed terrorist groups with chemical weapons," Xinhua quoted Syrian foreign ministry as saying in a letter sent to the UN Saturday.
Those countries may later, the letter further said: "claim that it was the Syrian government that used the weapons."
The ministry warned that the "terrorist groups" might resort to chemical weapons against the Syrian people.
It also denounced what it described as the international community`s "inaction" to deal with the developments after the "terrorist groups" recently took hold of a chlorine processing plant near the northern city of Aleppo.
The ministry`s remarks came as the US and its western allies recently raised concerns over the Syrian chemical arsenal and speculated that Syria might use those weaponries against the armed militias.
Syria has repeatedly denied having such arms and stressed that even if it had those weapons, it would not use them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack