Rebels may get chemical weapons: Syrian govt
Damascus: The Syrian government has expressed concerns over the possibility of foreign countries providing the rebels chemical weapons and later frame the ruling-government.
"What raises concerns regarding this news circulated by the media is our serious fear that some of the countries backing terrorism and terrorists might provide the armed terrorist groups with chemical weapons," Xinhua quoted Syrian foreign ministry as saying in a letter sent to the UN Saturday.
Those countries may later, the letter further said: "claim that it was the Syrian government that used the weapons."
The ministry warned that the "terrorist groups" might resort to chemical weapons against the Syrian people.
It also denounced what it described as the international community`s "inaction" to deal with the developments after the "terrorist groups" recently took hold of a chlorine processing plant near the northern city of Aleppo.
The ministry`s remarks came as the US and its western allies recently raised concerns over the Syrian chemical arsenal and speculated that Syria might use those weaponries against the armed militias.
Syria has repeatedly denied having such arms and stressed that even if it had those weapons, it would not use them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley