Rebels may get chemical weapons: Syrian govt
Damascus: The Syrian government has expressed concerns over the possibility of foreign countries providing the rebels chemical weapons and later frame the ruling-government.
"What raises concerns regarding this news circulated by the media is our serious fear that some of the countries backing terrorism and terrorists might provide the armed terrorist groups with chemical weapons," Xinhua quoted Syrian foreign ministry as saying in a letter sent to the UN Saturday.
Those countries may later, the letter further said: "claim that it was the Syrian government that used the weapons."
The ministry warned that the "terrorist groups" might resort to chemical weapons against the Syrian people.
It also denounced what it described as the international community`s "inaction" to deal with the developments after the "terrorist groups" recently took hold of a chlorine processing plant near the northern city of Aleppo.
The ministry`s remarks came as the US and its western allies recently raised concerns over the Syrian chemical arsenal and speculated that Syria might use those weaponries against the armed militias.
Syria has repeatedly denied having such arms and stressed that even if it had those weapons, it would not use them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days