Report says 150 killed in clashes for Syria airport
Beirut: Activists say some 150 rebels and government troops have been killed in fierce fighting for control of the international airport in the northern city of Aleppo and a major military air base nearby.
The director of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says that death toll is from fighting on Wednesday and Thursday and is almost evenly divided between opposition fighters and regime soldiers.
The Observatory and the Local Coordination Committees activist group say rebels and President Bashar Assad`s forces are shelling each other in renewed clashes today, in and around the airports.
Rebels launched a major attack on Aleppo`s civilian airport and the nearby air base of Nairab on Wednesday.
They have captured most of the "Brigade 80" force that is in charge of protecting the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi kicks off Congress' poll campaign in Lucknow; vows to make UP no. 1 state, praises Sheila Dikshit
- Jeff Bezos world's third-richest, surpasses Warren Buffett: Forbes
- RBI to keep rates unchanged in August 9 policy: ICRA
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh's wife led to his arrest?
- VIRAL VIDEO: Horrific car accident, woman flung 15 meters into air