Russia denies closure of embassy, naval base in Syria
Moscow: Moscow has denied the reports suggesting closure of Russian embassy in the Syria`s capital city and evacuation of a naval base in its second largest port city of Tartus.
"These rumors are speculations and provocations aimed at preparing public opinion for the attempts to change the (Syrian) regime," reported Xinhua citing Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov telling reporters after talks with his Moroccan counterpart Saad-Eddine El Othmani.
The embassy "works as usual as a diplomatic mission," and "is under tense and dangerous conditions", he said, while denying reports about the alleged pending evacuation of the Russian naval logistic base from Tartus.
"The Tartus naval logistics facility operates normally. Evacuation of this base or its personnel is not on the agenda," Lavrov said, adding many outside players have been working to hinder Russian and US efforts to resolve the crisis in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report