Russian jet gone missing in Indonesia, 50 on board
Jakarta: A Russian commercial jet with at least 50 people on board went off radar during a test flight over West Java in Indonesia, officials said on Wednesday.
The Sukhoi Superjet 100 was carrying Russian embassy officials, businessmen and journalists and was on a demonstration flight for potential buyers.
The plane took off from Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in the capital, Jakarta, at 2:21 p.m. (0721 GMT).
Officials said that the plane successfully completed the first round of flight, but it lost contact during the second term near the Salak mountain range, after the crew asked air traffic control for permission to descend from 3,000 meters to 1,800 meters.
No explanation was given for the sudden change of course. Though drizzling at the time, it was not stormy.
Search and rescue teams were heading to the area just south of the capital, said Bambang Ervan, a spokesman for the Ministry of Transportation. Bad weather, however, forced at least two helicopters to turn back.
Head of Search and Rescue Agency Rear Marshal Daryatmo hoped that they would manage to reach the location by tonight.
Developed by the Russian aerospace company Sukhoi in co-operation with Western partners, the plane is the first completely new airliner designed by Russia since the Soviet collapse.
Russia has hoped that the short- to mid-range jet, which made its maiden run in 2008, would help it break into international markets dominated by Boeing and Airbus.
With agencies inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery