Second stealth warship joins Russian Navy
St Petersburg: St Petersburg`s Severnaya Verf shipyard will deliver a new stealth corvette to the Russian Navy at an official ceremony on Friday.
The Soobrazitelny is the second Project 20380 or Steregushchy class corvette designed by the Almaz Central Marine Design Bureau.
"The corvette features innovative solutions regarding hull design, armament, communications and electronics," the shipyard said in a statement.
The first Project 20380 corvette, the Steregushchy, was put into service with Russia`s Baltic Fleet in October 2008, and two other ships of the same series, the Boyky and the Stoyky, are under construction.
The Steregushchy class corvette can be deployed to destroy enemy surface ships, submarines and aircraft, and to provide artillery support for beach landings. Advanced stealth technology is used to reduce the ship`s secondary radar field, as well as its acoustic, infrared, magnetic and visual signatures.
Russia plans to have up to 30 vessels of this class to ensure the protection of its coastal waters, as well as its oil and gas transportation routes, especially in the Black and the Baltic seas.
Each corvette has a displacement of 2,000 metric tonnes, maximum speed of 27 knots, and a crew of 100.
The ship`s armament includes SS-N-25 Switchblade anti-ship cruise missiles, a 100-mm gun, a variety of air defence and anti-submarine systems, and a Ka-27 Helix ASW helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'