Senior al Qaeda fighter killed in Syria: Rebels
Beirut: A spokesman for a rebel coalition says a suicide bombing has killed a senior al Qaeda operative in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.
Islamic Front spokesman Akram al-Halabi said the militant, known as Abu Khaled al-Suri, was killed on Sunday.
Al-Halabi said that an al-Qaeda breakaway group, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, was suspected in the attack.
ISIL has been fighting with other rebel groups in northern Syria. It broke with al Qaeda earlier this year.
According to al-Hababi, Abu Khaled al-Suri is the representative of al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Syria.
Al-Zawahiri appointed him to resolve fighting between rebels and ISIL.
He was also the co-founder of the hard-line rebel group Ahrar al-Sham, a key member of the Islamic Front.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview
- Pakistan vs England, 2nd T20: Live Streaming