Senior al Qaeda fighter killed in Syria: Rebels
Beirut: A spokesman for a rebel coalition says a suicide bombing has killed a senior al Qaeda operative in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.
Islamic Front spokesman Akram al-Halabi said the militant, known as Abu Khaled al-Suri, was killed on Sunday.
Al-Halabi said that an al-Qaeda breakaway group, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, was suspected in the attack.
ISIL has been fighting with other rebel groups in northern Syria. It broke with al Qaeda earlier this year.
According to al-Hababi, Abu Khaled al-Suri is the representative of al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Syria.
Al-Zawahiri appointed him to resolve fighting between rebels and ISIL.
He was also the co-founder of the hard-line rebel group Ahrar al-Sham, a key member of the Islamic Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security