Sever links with Taiwan to improve ties: China to Vatican
Beijing: Setting stiff conditions for improving ties with the Vatican, China on Monday said the new pope should sever links with Taiwan and stop interfering in its internal affairs in the name of religion.
Asked for China`s expectation from the next pontiff after Pope Benedict last week said he would quit, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said the Vatican should "sever diplomatic ties with Taiwan and recognise People`s Republic of China as solely representing whole of China and Taiwan as an inalienable part of Chinese territory".
The Vatican should not interfere in China`s internal affairs including interference in the name of religion, spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing here today.
China hopes the Vatican will show flexibility and sincerity in creating conditions for the improvement of China-Vatican ties under the new pope, he said.
Christianity is regarded as the fast growing religion next to Buddhism in communist China.
According to official figures, China has over 25 million practicing Christians who practice their religion under a tightly controlled regime governed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
The Chinese government and the Vatican periodically exchanged hostile statements over China`s assertions to have a say in the appointment of Church officials.
Early this month, the Communist Party said it will adhere to policy of respecting religious freedom but prevent "infiltration of overseas-based hostile forces" that make use of religion to subvert its rule.
Yu Zhengsheng, a Standing Committee member of the Political Bureau of the Party`s Central Committee, said the Party will adhere to its basic policy of respecting religious freedom.
"Only by implementing the policy can China withstand the infiltration of overseas-based hostile forces that make use of religion," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying during a meeting with leaders of major national religious groups in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice