Ship carrying US Patriots reaches Turkey
Iskenderun: Two Patriot missile systems from the US have arrived in southern Turkey to be deployed close to the Syrian border.
The US, Germany, and the Netherlands are providing two batteries each to protect Turkey, a NATO ally, from any possible incoming ballistic missiles from Syria, where a brutal civil war has claimed tens of thousands of lives.
The German and Dutch systems have already arrived and much of the batteries are operational.
A US Navy ship carrying the missile systems docked at a Turkish naval base in Iskenderun today.
All six batteries are expected to become fully operational in the coming days.
Turkey has turned into one of the Syrian regime`s harshest critics since the uprising began in March 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know