Ship catches fire off China coast, 15 rescued
Beijing: Fifteen of the 16 crewmen on a Panama-registered freighter have been rescued after the vessel caught fire off the east China coast, marine authorities said.
One person was still stranded on the freighter "Hua Shan", Xinhua quoted officials with the maritime safety administration of Shandong province as saying.
The crew are all from South Korea. None of the 15 rescued was injured.
Around 8 pm on Sunday, the Shandong maritime rescue centre received a report that the engine room of the freighter was on fire in waters about 30 km off Chaolian Island, which is 31 km from Qingdao city.
The freighter was carrying 4,000 tonnes of coal.
The sailors boarded the lifeboat and were rescued by a passing ship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert