Sino-India contacts set to resume post-transition in CPC
Beijing: As China`s ruling CPC appointed `fifth generation` leaders headed by Xi Jinping, high-level Sino-India contacts are set to resume this month starting with the Strategic Economic Dialogue, which would be followed by a likely visit of National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon here.
The first contact post-transition would be taking place between Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia and his Chinese counterpart and Chief of China`s National Development Reforms Commission (NDRC) Zhang Ping on November 26.
The meeting between the two, both influential officials in their respective administrations, was expected to go beyond issues involving the Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED) and focus on the scope of the bilateral relationship in the light of the leadership change in Beijing.
The SED dialogue is expected to be followed by the visit of Menon here, even though there is no official announcement about it so far.
Officials here are tight-lipped about the expected visit of Menon, who had served as the Indian Ambassador to China earlier and is regarded highly by the Chinese leadership. His visit could kick off a new momentum in the relations.
Menon`s counterpart in the Special Representative-level talks to resolve the border issue, Dai Bingguo, too is slated to retire as the administration headed by outgoing President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao would be relinquishing their posts by March next year.
71-year-old Dai, who holds the designation of State Councilor, is the longest-serving Chinese diplomat to have held talks with various administrations in India since 2003.
Speculation is rife about who would succeed him, and the present Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi is one of the contenders.
Incidentally, both Xi and the number two leader Li Keqiang, 57, who is tipped to succeed Premier Wen Jiabao, have not visited India in the recent years even though they were part of the high-power Standing Committee of the outgoing leadership.
Xi played a key role in hosting various meetings during former President Pratibha Patil`s China visit in 2010, while former External Affairs Minister S M Krishna met Li during his visit here this year.
Indian officials say that as Vice President and Vice Premier respectively in the outgoing administration, both Xi and Li were very much part of the India-China rapprochement in the past decade, which made progress under the Hu-Wen leadership with Beijing bringing about "strategic equilibrium" in China`s pro-Pakistan policy of the past.
Both Hu and Wen had also not visited India before they took power in 2002.
Barring the problem relating to China`s move to issue stapled visas in 2009 to residents of Jammu and Kashmir, a decision it abandoned following India`s objections, the relations were on the upswing in recent years with several meetings taking place between the top leaderships of both the countries at various fora.
Officials from both sides informally speak of the continuity in the policy of improvement of ties.
Some Chinese strategists spoke of Beijing scripting a new Look West Policy (West of China) to improve relations with India and countries in South and West Asia to counter US push into the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India