Six soldiers killed in attack on Mozambique armoury: Reports
Maputo: Armed men have killed six soldiers in a pre-dawn attack on a military weapons depot in central Mozambique, independent television reported.
Socio Television, citing soldiers who witnessed the attack on Monday, said it was allegedly carried out by the former rebel group Renamo and that two soldiers were injured at the depot in Savane, on Mozambique`s Indian Ocean coast.
It said the gunmen snatched arms and ammunition before fleeing the scene.
Earlier yesterday, local district administrator Joao Oliveira told state-run radio that the attack occurred at 4:00 am local time (0730 IST) and caused casualties, without elaborating.
Several local media outlets earlier reported five dead and three wounded, quoting hospital sources in the nearby coastal city of Beira where the victims were taken following the attack.
"The dead and wounded came from Muaza, a railway town next to the Sena Line which serves to move coal from Moatize in Tete," the independent Canal de Mozambique newspaper reported.
The attack caused panic among residents.
"There are a lot of soldiers here now, as well as FIR (riot police)," Savane resident Bonifacio Tomacene said. He said the sound of gunfire coming from the army depot lasted at least half an hour. The modus operandi of the attack bears a strong resemblance to raids carried out by Renamo rebels during Mozambique`s civil war on government armouries in order to arm themselves.
Renamo spokesman Fernando Mazanga said: "I heard about this from journalists phoning me up. I cannot confirm yes or no." Renamo enjoys strongest support in the central province which has been the flashpoint of violence once this year already.
In March, five policemen died in a shootout with Renamo members, and three civilians were also killed in the aftermath. The latest attack happened on the day former foes Renamo and Frelimo, which has ruled the country since the end of the 16-year civil war in 1992, resumed acrimonious negotiations in the capital Maputo.
Six previous rounds of talks have failed to yield a breakthrough on any of the major issues on the table, including Renamo`s threat to boycott upcoming polls if the election law isn`t amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in