Syria becoming `centre of gravity` for terrorists
Moscow: Syria is turning into a "centre of gravity" for international terrorists as the ongoing civil war between rebels and government forces continues, a top Russian official has said.
"Syria`s transformation into the centre of gravity for international terrorists is becoming a reality," said Alexander Lukashevich, a spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry.
He added that it was a "frightening reality".
Last year, the Syrian government presented the UN Security Council with lists of hundreds of foreign nationals who had been killed fighting against government troops in Syria.
Lukashevich said war-torn Syria needs to open a dialogue between the two sides, and that "Russia will continue its efforts to speed up the resolution of the conflict".
About 70,000 people have died in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011, according to UN estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note