Syria becoming `centre of gravity` for terrorists
Moscow: Syria is turning into a "centre of gravity" for international terrorists as the ongoing civil war between rebels and government forces continues, a top Russian official has said.
"Syria`s transformation into the centre of gravity for international terrorists is becoming a reality," said Alexander Lukashevich, a spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry.
He added that it was a "frightening reality".
Last year, the Syrian government presented the UN Security Council with lists of hundreds of foreign nationals who had been killed fighting against government troops in Syria.
Lukashevich said war-torn Syria needs to open a dialogue between the two sides, and that "Russia will continue its efforts to speed up the resolution of the conflict".
About 70,000 people have died in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011, according to UN estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?