Syria crisis: Many trapped in Homs evacuated, says UN
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Nearly 80 civilians have been evacuated from the war-ravaged town of Syria after being trapped for around two years without aid, as reported by the United Nations.
As per the statement issued on Friday, UN has called to reach out to several others throughout Syria, who have been without basic amenities for long.
The first of 2,500 Syrians have been evacuated under a three-day accord allowing people out and aid in, the UN said.
"I continue to call for the safe and voluntary evacuation of all civilians and for full access for humanitarian workers to help people caught in similar situations across Syria," UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Valerie Amos said, calling Friday`s operation "a breakthrough and a small but important step towards compliance with international humanitarian law".
Eighty three women, children and elderly people were evacuated from Homs, the first of the 500 families who have become a symbol of the horrors inflicted upon civilians by the civil war.
Over 100,000 people have been killed and millions of others driven from their homes since the conflict erupted in Syria in March 2011 when originally peaceful protesters sought the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj