Syria crisis: Many trapped in Homs evacuated, says UN
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Nearly 80 civilians have been evacuated from the war-ravaged town of Syria after being trapped for around two years without aid, as reported by the United Nations.
As per the statement issued on Friday, UN has called to reach out to several others throughout Syria, who have been without basic amenities for long.
The first of 2,500 Syrians have been evacuated under a three-day accord allowing people out and aid in, the UN said.
"I continue to call for the safe and voluntary evacuation of all civilians and for full access for humanitarian workers to help people caught in similar situations across Syria," UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Valerie Amos said, calling Friday`s operation "a breakthrough and a small but important step towards compliance with international humanitarian law".
Eighty three women, children and elderly people were evacuated from Homs, the first of the 500 families who have become a symbol of the horrors inflicted upon civilians by the civil war.
Over 100,000 people have been killed and millions of others driven from their homes since the conflict erupted in Syria in March 2011 when originally peaceful protesters sought the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa