Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
Beirut: Activists say forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad have unleashed their heaviest artillery barrage in a week to dislodge rebels from a strategic western town.
Pro-Assad troops, including fighters from the Lebanese militia Hezbollah, launched an offensive against the rebel-held town of Qusair a week ago. They have gained ground, but rebels continue to hold some positions.
Local activist Hadi Abdullah and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights say the artillery barrage began early today. The regime wants to recapture Qusair to open a land corridor between its strongholds in the capital Damascus and on the Mediterranean coast.
The Qusair offensive has highlighted Hezbollah`s growing role in Syria`s civil war. Today`s push comes ahead of a speech by Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah, his first since the offensive began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof