Syria releases 552 political prisoners
Beirut: Syria`s state-run TV says authorities have released 552 prisoners who were involved in anti-regime activities during the nine-month uprising against President Bashar Assad.
It is the second group of prisoners to be released in a week under an Arab League plan meant to stop the government`s crackdown on dissent, which has claimed thousands of lives. Besides halting the violence, the plan calls for the release of all political prisoners. About 3,500 were freed on Tuesday.
Following Thursday`s TV report, activists said Syria was still holding at least 25,000 political detainees.
The Arab plan so far has failed to stop the violence. Activists have reported several hundred deaths even while a team of Arab League monitors is on the ground in Syria in an attempt to ensure the regime`s compliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users