Syria releases 552 political prisoners
Beirut: Syria`s state-run TV says authorities have released 552 prisoners who were involved in anti-regime activities during the nine-month uprising against President Bashar Assad.
It is the second group of prisoners to be released in a week under an Arab League plan meant to stop the government`s crackdown on dissent, which has claimed thousands of lives. Besides halting the violence, the plan calls for the release of all political prisoners. About 3,500 were freed on Tuesday.
Following Thursday`s TV report, activists said Syria was still holding at least 25,000 political detainees.
The Arab plan so far has failed to stop the violence. Activists have reported several hundred deaths even while a team of Arab League monitors is on the ground in Syria in an attempt to ensure the regime`s compliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez