Syrian newspaper welcomes UN veto
Beirut: A Syrian state-run newspaper has welcomed the Russian and Chinese veto of a UN Security Council resolution aimed at stopping Damascus` crackdown on the country`s uprising.
The Sunday article in Tishreen daily says that authorities will continue their efforts to bring back stability to the country.
The double-veto outraged the US and European council members who feared it would embolden the regime of President Bashar Assad.
Tishreen also described the Saturday veto as an incentive for Damascus to continue with announced political reforms, which include drafting a new Constitution and new Parliamentary Elections.
The crackdown on the nearly 11-month uprising has left more than 5,400 people dead, according to the UN.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India