Syrian newspaper welcomes UN veto
Beirut: A Syrian state-run newspaper has welcomed the Russian and Chinese veto of a UN Security Council resolution aimed at stopping Damascus` crackdown on the country`s uprising.
The Sunday article in Tishreen daily says that authorities will continue their efforts to bring back stability to the country.
The double-veto outraged the US and European council members who feared it would embolden the regime of President Bashar Assad.
Tishreen also described the Saturday veto as an incentive for Damascus to continue with announced political reforms, which include drafting a new Constitution and new Parliamentary Elections.
The crackdown on the nearly 11-month uprising has left more than 5,400 people dead, according to the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video