Syrian newspaper welcomes UN veto
Beirut: A Syrian state-run newspaper has welcomed the Russian and Chinese veto of a UN Security Council resolution aimed at stopping Damascus` crackdown on the country`s uprising.
The Sunday article in Tishreen daily says that authorities will continue their efforts to bring back stability to the country.
The double-veto outraged the US and European council members who feared it would embolden the regime of President Bashar Assad.
Tishreen also described the Saturday veto as an incentive for Damascus to continue with announced political reforms, which include drafting a new Constitution and new Parliamentary Elections.
The crackdown on the nearly 11-month uprising has left more than 5,400 people dead, according to the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read