Ten injured in two moderate quakes in China
Beijing: At least ten people were injured when two moderate earthquakes shook northeast China`s Jilin Province on Thursday in a span of seven minutes, damaging over 4,100 homes, local officials said.
The first quake that hit the Songyuan city at 11:03 am (13:33 IST) was of 5.5-magnitude with its epicenter at a depth of eight km, the China Earthquake Networks Center said.
The area was hit by another quake of 5.0 magnitude at a depth of six km at 11:10 am.
The epicenter was Dongbaiyinhua Village, where telecommunications have been cut off, an official from Qian Gorlos Mongol Autonomous County said.
The seriously injured were rushed to local hospitals.
The earthquakes were felt in most parts of Jilin Province and some cities in the neighbouring Heilongjiang Province. No deaths have been reported so far.
So far, over 4,100 homes had been damaged with another 55 destroyed in Chaganhua Town. Local authorities have relocated about 14,400 residents there. Economic losses were estimated to be about 130 million yuan (about USD 21.33 million), state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Qian Gorlos Mongol Autonomous County government said all kindergartens and schools will be closed from this afternoon till tomorrow.
A 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck Hunchun city in the same province yesterday though no casualties or damage were reported.
The Jilin provincial government has allotted 5,00,000 yuan in disaster relief fund to the quake-hit region.
Relief teams have been sent to the region, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened