Three dead, dozens injured in Mexico prison battle
Mexico City: A battle between groups of prisoners has left 13 inmates dead and another 65 injured, according to officials in the central Mexican state of San Luis Potosi.
The clash yesterday began when a group of inmates, fed up with harassment by other prisoners, used homemade knives and picks to attack their rivals starting at about 4:15 am (local time) at the La Pila prison in the state capital, according to the state attorney general`s office.
Agency spokeswoman Gabriela Gonzalez Chong called the violence a "fight not an uprising" against prison authorities.
San Luis Potosi Gov. Fernando Toranzo told a news conference that 13 inmates had died, and that 22 of the 65 injured were in serious condition.
Toranzo said officials would investigate whether prison authorities played a role in the clash.
Violent disputes between rival cartels and gangs often spill over into Mexico`s prisons, where fights, riots and escapes are common.
The National Human Rights Commission reported in 2012 that prisoners, often linked to drug gangs, effectively run the interior of many Mexican prisons.
The Zetas drug gang has been especially active in San Luis Potosi in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP