Three dead, dozens injured in Mexico prison battle
Mexico City: A battle between groups of prisoners has left 13 inmates dead and another 65 injured, according to officials in the central Mexican state of San Luis Potosi.
The clash yesterday began when a group of inmates, fed up with harassment by other prisoners, used homemade knives and picks to attack their rivals starting at about 4:15 am (local time) at the La Pila prison in the state capital, according to the state attorney general`s office.
Agency spokeswoman Gabriela Gonzalez Chong called the violence a "fight not an uprising" against prison authorities.
San Luis Potosi Gov. Fernando Toranzo told a news conference that 13 inmates had died, and that 22 of the 65 injured were in serious condition.
Toranzo said officials would investigate whether prison authorities played a role in the clash.
Violent disputes between rival cartels and gangs often spill over into Mexico`s prisons, where fights, riots and escapes are common.
The National Human Rights Commission reported in 2012 that prisoners, often linked to drug gangs, effectively run the interior of many Mexican prisons.
The Zetas drug gang has been especially active in San Luis Potosi in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley