Turkish protesters disrupt US-sponsored iftar meal
Ankara: Turkish media and US officials say some 200 protesters denouncing Israel`s military operations in Gaza threw eggs and firecrackers and destroyed chairs and tables that were set for a Muslim fast-breaking dinner sponsored by the US Consulate.
The state-run Anadolu Agency said seven people were later injured in fighting between some of the protesters and security officials employed by the municipality, which owned the tables and chairs.
The incident occurred late yesterday in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir as organisers were preparing to host the iftar, or Ramadan meal.
John Espinoza, who heads the US Consulate in the nearby city of Adana, condemned the incident. He said the US would not allow "the acts of a few childish cowards to hurt the strong friendship" between the US and Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan