Turkish protesters disrupt US-sponsored iftar meal
Ankara: Turkish media and US officials say some 200 protesters denouncing Israel`s military operations in Gaza threw eggs and firecrackers and destroyed chairs and tables that were set for a Muslim fast-breaking dinner sponsored by the US Consulate.
The state-run Anadolu Agency said seven people were later injured in fighting between some of the protesters and security officials employed by the municipality, which owned the tables and chairs.
The incident occurred late yesterday in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir as organisers were preparing to host the iftar, or Ramadan meal.
John Espinoza, who heads the US Consulate in the nearby city of Adana, condemned the incident. He said the US would not allow "the acts of a few childish cowards to hurt the strong friendship" between the US and Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security