Turkish protesters disrupt US-sponsored iftar meal
Ankara: Turkish media and US officials say some 200 protesters denouncing Israel`s military operations in Gaza threw eggs and firecrackers and destroyed chairs and tables that were set for a Muslim fast-breaking dinner sponsored by the US Consulate.
The state-run Anadolu Agency said seven people were later injured in fighting between some of the protesters and security officials employed by the municipality, which owned the tables and chairs.
The incident occurred late yesterday in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir as organisers were preparing to host the iftar, or Ramadan meal.
John Espinoza, who heads the US Consulate in the nearby city of Adana, condemned the incident. He said the US would not allow "the acts of a few childish cowards to hurt the strong friendship" between the US and Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- To give shape to new education policy, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar meets RSS leaders
- Italian connection to Mahatma Gandhi's assassination? Subramanian Swamy to reveal after August 15
- WATCH: AB de Villiers' lesson for 19-year-old who struck him with fearsome bouncer
- More girls studying, but 84% drop out after graduation
- Market gatheres momentum, Sensex up 120 points amid F&O expiry