Twin bombings hit Syria’s Damascus, 14 killed
Damascus: At least 14 people were killed when twin explosions caused by suicide bomb attackers struck near a police station in Damascus Tuesday, state television said, updating its earlier toll.
"The number of casualties after a twin suicide attack in Marjeh square has risen to 14 dead and 31 injured," said the broadcaster.
"The two suicide explosions took place near a police station," it added.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also reported the blasts, but put the toll higher at 15.
"The number of people killed after two explosions in Marjeh square in Damascus has risen to 15," said the Britain-based monitoring group.
One of the blasts "was caused by a suicide bomb attacker who blew himself up inside the police station", said the Observatory, revising its earlier reports.
"A second explosion took place just outside the police station," the group said, without elaborating on the nature of that blast.
"The number of casualties is expected to rise because several of the wounded are in critical condition," added the Observatory, which relies on a network of activists, doctors and lawyers for its reports.
Areas of central Damascus have suffered frequent bomb attacks through the course of Syria`s 26-month war. Most attacks were claimed subsequently by the jihadist Al-Nusra Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video