Two helicopters collide at Berlin stadium, one dead
Berlin: Two helicopters collided over Berlin`s iconic Olympic Stadium on Thursday leaving one person dead, BBC reported.
The incident took place during a police security exercise for operations against football hooligans, authorities confirmed.
"At least one person was killed and several injured when the two aircraft collided at low altitude during a spring snowstorm," the Berlin fire brigade said in a statement.
However, the German media stated that the casualty was a pilot.
The stadium was the venue for the 1936 Games where four gold medals for African-American athlete Jesse Owens ruined Adolf Hitler`s dreams of Aryan glory for the hosts on the eve of World War II.
German media said hundreds of federal police were conducting an exercise to prepare for operations against violent football fans at the stadium.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees