Two helicopters collide at Berlin stadium, one dead
Berlin: Two helicopters collided over Berlin`s iconic Olympic Stadium on Thursday leaving one person dead, BBC reported.
The incident took place during a police security exercise for operations against football hooligans, authorities confirmed.
"At least one person was killed and several injured when the two aircraft collided at low altitude during a spring snowstorm," the Berlin fire brigade said in a statement.
However, the German media stated that the casualty was a pilot.
The stadium was the venue for the 1936 Games where four gold medals for African-American athlete Jesse Owens ruined Adolf Hitler`s dreams of Aryan glory for the hosts on the eve of World War II.
German media said hundreds of federal police were conducting an exercise to prepare for operations against violent football fans at the stadium.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16