Two shot to death in Venezuelan political clash
Caracas: Two people were shot to death during a confrontation between supporters of President Hugo Chavez and his opponent in next month`s Presidential election, Henrique Capriles, Venezuelan authorities said.
Justice Minister Tarek El Aissami said the shooting happened on Saturday when loyalists of both candidates faced off on a road between the communities of Barinas and Barinitas in the country`s central plains, about 450 kilometres southwest of Caracas, the capital.
The Justice minister, who described the bloodshed as an "isolated incident," said police were looking for the shooter and trying to determine what led to the confrontation.
Speaking in a telephone interview broadcast by state-run Venezolana de Television, Aissami did not say anything about the dead men`s political affiliation. But opposition officials said both were participants in a motorcade of Capriles supporters.
Opposition lawmaker Julio Cesar Reyes said a group of Chavez supporters blocked the caravan and people on both sides were arguing when a man appeared with a gun and started shooting.
Neither Aissami nor the opposition speculated on who the shooter might be.
Clashes have erupted previously during the campaign for the Oct 7 Presidential election, but these were the first deaths tied to a political event.
At least 14 people were injured September 12 during stone throwing that broke out after Chavez backers blocked a road trying to prevent Capriles from reaching a campaign event in the central city of Puerto Cabello.
In July, Chavez supporters threw rocks at opposition supporters who were accompanying Capriles in a march through a poor Caracas neighbourhood. In March, shots rang out while Capriles was visiting a Caracas district that traditionally has been pro-Chavez and an opposition supporter was wounded.
Capriles, a former state governor, is considered the most serious rival that Chavez has faced since he was first elected president in 1998. The president is seeking another six-year term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured