UK man who killed two cops jailed for life
London: A British man convicted of murdering four people, including two unarmed British policewomen in a gun and grenade attack, was given a life sentence on Thursday.
Dale Cregan, 30, had admitted killing officers Fiona Bone and Nichola Hughes as they responded to a burglary call near Manchester in September. Earlier in the trial he also pleaded guilty to murdering father and son David and Mark Short in separate incidents in 2012.
Pronouncing sentence, Judge Tim Holroyde said Cregan "acted with pre-meditated savagery" and that the seriousness of the crimes made him conclude that Cregan should never be released from prison.
"You, Cregan, drew those two officers into a calculated trap for the sole purpose of murdering them in cold blood," Holroyde said.
Cregan went on the run days after he killed the Shorts last year. Prosecutors say those killings stemmed from a long-standing feud between two Manchester crime families.
In September, he made a bogus emergency call and lured Bone and Hughes to a house near Manchester. As they arrived, he opened fire with a Glock pistol, firing 32 bullets at the officers, before lobbing a military fragmentation grenade into the yard of the house as he fled.
Cregan turned himself in to a police station shortly after, telling an officer he killed the officers because police were "hounding" his family.
Several other men were also convicted today for their part in the killing of the Shorts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'