UK seeks to resume talks with Ecuador over Assange
London: The British Government has reportedly written to the Ecuadorian embassy in London to resume talks over the fate of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
Assange has been holed up in the embassy since June 19 in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where is wanted for questioning over allegations of sexual assault.
The Foreign Office confirmed a ‘formal communication’ had been sent to diplomats from Ecuador, which granted Assange political asylum last week, the Daily Express reports.
The UK government said that Assange will be arrested if he steps outside of the embassy after jumping bail.
Ecuador`s President said the diplomatic row ‘could be ended tomorrow’ if Britain gave the activist safe passage to the South American country.
Ecuador expressed optimism that a ‘compromise’ could be reached with the UK and called for fresh talks over Assange`s future.
The county also urged the UK to drop threats to enter the embassy and arrest Assange.
According to the report, the Foreign Office official said withdrawing the threat to enter the embassy was not a condition of talks being held, but it would be an ‘indication of good faith’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indus era at least 8,000 years old, not 5,500; culminated due to climate change!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sunny Leone, Taapsee Pannu – Stars who donned the purple colour in elan!
- 'Get fit in style'! Shraddha Kapoor stuns in casual too!
- Three in three! Shane Watson has never lost T20 final in his first season with team
- It's a wrap for Vidya Balan-Arjun Rampal's 'Kahaani 2'!