UN blasted for appointing Mugabe as tourism envoy
Harare: The United Nations` appointment of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe as the leader for tourism, despite being subject to a travel ban, has been strongly criticised by his political opponents.
Kumbi Muchemwa, a spokesman for the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), said: "I can`t see any justification for the man being an `ambassador`."
"An ambassador for what? The man has blood on his hands. Do they want tourists to see those bloody hands?" The Telegraph quoted Muchemwa as saying.
"Robert Mugabe is under international sanctions, so how do you have an international tourism ambassador who can`t travel to other countries?," Muchemwa added.
Mugabe and his aides are subject to a EU travel ban that prevents them from travelling to EU countries.
The United Nations has appointed Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe as the leader for tourism.
Mugabe along with Michael Sata, Zambian president, signed an agreement in the no-man`s-land on Victoria Falls Bridge with UN`s World Tourism Organisation.
According to the agreement, the two countries would co-host the UNWTO General Assembly in August next year.
However, Taleb Rifai, secretary general of UNWTO, said: "By coming here, it is recognition, an endorsement on the country [Zimbabwe] that it is a safe destination."
Navi Pillay, the UN human rights chief, had last week urged Western countries to suspend sanctions against Mugabe and his close aides to give Zimbabwe a chance to implement much needed reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch