UN resolution calling for political transition in Syria adopted
London: A resolution calling for a political transition in Syria and condemning the government`s use of heavy weapons has been adopted by the United NationsGeneral Assembly.
The resolution, which is not binding, passed easily, although a similar one last year received more support.
According to the BBC, Russiawas fiercely opposed to the resolution, which it called was unbalanced and failed to address adequately atrocities allegedly committed by rebel groups.
The resolution, which was drafted by Arab states who have championed the rebels, expressed outrage at the `rapidly increasing death toll`.
It strongly condemned the Syrian government`s use of heavy weapons and the widespread and systematic gross violations of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
According to the report, the resolution called for urgent financial support to neighbouring countries, which are hosting 1.5 million refugees, and highlighted the `dire situation` of the 4.25 million internally displaced people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH