UN says 4 peacekeepers held by Syria rebels freed
Quinetra Crossing (Golan Heights): A UN sergeant stationed on the Golan Heights says all Filipino UN peacekeepers abducted last week have been released and are in good condition.
The peacekeeper, who gave his name as Sgt. Ratton, told the Associated Press today that his comrades were freed at 08:30 local time. He said that all four are in good health.
Syrian rebels seized the four peacekeepers along the UN-patrolled demarcation line separating the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Syria on Tuesday, only two months after 21 Filipino peacekeepers were abducted and held for three days by the rebels in the same area.
Heightened violence in the area in recent months has sparked worries that the UN mission could withdraw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet clears mineral exploration policy
- Unbelievable! Gujarat researchers find traces of gold in urine of Gir cows
- Monsoon Session of Parliament to begin from July 18, end on August 12
- Barack Obama does not see major, cataclysmic changes after Brexit
- Mumbai: Youth performs daredevil stunt atop local train - Watch video