UNSC extends term of UN support mission in Libya
New York: The Security Council has
extended the UN support mission in Libya for three more months
and expanded its mandate to assist the North African country`s
transitional government in dealing with the threat of
proliferation of arms, including surface-to-air missiles.
The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) was established
by the Council in September for an initial period of three
In the unanimously adopted resolution, the 15-member body
extended the mandate until March 16 2012.
The Council said "the mandate of UNSMIL shall in addition
include, in coordination and consultation with the
transitional Government of Libya, assisting and supporting
Libyan national efforts to address the threats of
proliferation of all arms and related materiel of all types,
in particular man- portable surface-to-air missiles".
The mission`s initial mandate was to support the National
Transitional Council (NTC) in its reconstruction efforts after
the end of the conflict, including restoring the rule of law,
drafting a new constitution, promoting reconciliation and
preparing for elections.
The Council had in another resolution on October 31 called
on interim authorities to take action to prevent the
proliferation of arms, missiles and related materiel, saying
they posed a security threat to the country and the region.
The NTC declared full liberation of Libya on October 23,
eight months after the popular uprising began against the
tyrannical regime of long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi, who was
eventually captured and killed.
Libya has since formed an interim government headed by
Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users