UNSC extends term of UN support mission in Libya
New York: The Security Council has
extended the UN support mission in Libya for three more months
and expanded its mandate to assist the North African country`s
transitional government in dealing with the threat of
proliferation of arms, including surface-to-air missiles.
The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) was established
by the Council in September for an initial period of three
In the unanimously adopted resolution, the 15-member body
extended the mandate until March 16 2012.
The Council said "the mandate of UNSMIL shall in addition
include, in coordination and consultation with the
transitional Government of Libya, assisting and supporting
Libyan national efforts to address the threats of
proliferation of all arms and related materiel of all types,
in particular man- portable surface-to-air missiles".
The mission`s initial mandate was to support the National
Transitional Council (NTC) in its reconstruction efforts after
the end of the conflict, including restoring the rule of law,
drafting a new constitution, promoting reconciliation and
preparing for elections.
The Council had in another resolution on October 31 called
on interim authorities to take action to prevent the
proliferation of arms, missiles and related materiel, saying
they posed a security threat to the country and the region.
The NTC declared full liberation of Libya on October 23,
eight months after the popular uprising began against the
tyrannical regime of long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi, who was
eventually captured and killed.
Libya has since formed an interim government headed by
Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues