US agrees to assist Lebanon in bomb probe
Washington: The US has decided to assist the probe into a car bombing that killed the head of Lebanon`s internal intelligence, a US spokeswoman says.
In a phone call with Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reiterated US’ condemnation of Friday`s bombing in Beirut.
Hillary and Najib Mikati spoke after the funeral of intelligence chief Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan.
According to State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland, Hillary stressed "the United States` firm commitment to Lebanon`s stability, independence, sovereignty and security”.
"She noted the importance of political leaders working together at this sensitive time to ensure that calm prevails and that those responsible for the attack are brought to justice," the statement added.
Meanwhile, clashes erupted after the funeral of Wissam al-Hassan, as protesters demanded Mikati’s resignation.
Lebanese security forces unleashed a barrage of gunfire and tear gas in central Beirut to disperse hundreds of protesters trying to storm the government headquarters.
The protesters blamed the assassination on the government of neighbouring Syria and consider Lebanon`s current government to be too close to that embattled regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead