US agrees to assist Lebanon in bomb probe
Washington: The US has decided to assist the probe into a car bombing that killed the head of Lebanon`s internal intelligence, a US spokeswoman says.
In a phone call with Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reiterated US’ condemnation of Friday`s bombing in Beirut.
Hillary and Najib Mikati spoke after the funeral of intelligence chief Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan.
According to State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland, Hillary stressed "the United States` firm commitment to Lebanon`s stability, independence, sovereignty and security”.
"She noted the importance of political leaders working together at this sensitive time to ensure that calm prevails and that those responsible for the attack are brought to justice," the statement added.
Meanwhile, clashes erupted after the funeral of Wissam al-Hassan, as protesters demanded Mikati’s resignation.
Lebanese security forces unleashed a barrage of gunfire and tear gas in central Beirut to disperse hundreds of protesters trying to storm the government headquarters.
The protesters blamed the assassination on the government of neighbouring Syria and consider Lebanon`s current government to be too close to that embattled regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi