US airports ease screening for 75-plus
Washington: Travellers aged 75 and older will soon have an easy passage through US airports, with the government rolling out new rules to ease airport screening process for them.
The elderly will no longer have to doff shoes, belts and jackets as they pass through tough screening checks at the country`s three major airports - John F Kennedy, La-Guardia and Newark - all located close to New York City, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spokeswoman Lorie Dankers said.
The relaxation in the tough screening for the elderly comes after a spate of several high profile incidents last year in which older women at JFK International airport complained they were "strip searched" by officers.
The easing of procedures, Dankers said, was part of a pilot programme that will also allow older passengers to pass through metal detectors or body scanners more than once to resolve security issues if an alarm goes off, Los Angeles Times reported.
"People in that population and age group pose a lower risk to security," she said, adding "We`re trying to reduce the number of pat-downs."
Dankers said the shift is part of the TSA`s promise to move away from one-size-fits-all security screenings to a model that focuses on high-risk travellers.
The programme, from next week, will also begin at O`Hare International Airport in Chicago and airports at Denver, Portland and Orlando.
Asked how would TSA officers know how is 75 and who isn`t? The spokeswoman said, "We are not going to card people. Officers will make visual assessment on who qualifies for the relaxed screening.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now