US drone raid in Yemen kills 2 al Qaeda suspects
Sanaa: A US air raid hit a suspected al Qaeda target in Yemen`s central province of al-Bayda late on Monday, killing at least two people, a security official and eyewitnesses said on Tuesday.
"A US unmanned warplane killed al Qaeda local leader Abu Osama al-Marebi and one of his fellows while they were on a motorbike in al-Masanih area in central Radda city on Monday night, " a provincial security official told Xinhua by phone, requesting anonymity.
Residents who rushed to the scene following the explosion said they recognized the sound of the drone, which they said had flown over the area for hours before firing the missile.
The al Qaeda group seized parts of Radda, some 170 km southeast of the capital Sanaa, in mid January, but they left the town after reaching a deal with the central government.
The United States has beefed up anti-terror cooperation with the Yemeni government since Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi took office in February, after a year of political upheaval that allowed the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to capture several cities in the south.
On Saturday, a US drone killed four al Qaeda members in Yemen `s southeastern province of Hadramout, according to the Yemeni defence minister`s statement.
The militants were recently either captured or hunted by the security authorities after a US- backed offensive in the southern Abyan province two months ago routed the militants out of their strongholds that they had controlled for nearly a year.
Combating al Qaeda network in the restive south is one of the challenges confronting Hadi, who has promised to reform the army, restore security and uproot the resurgent branch of al Qaeda, locally known as Ansar al-Sharia (Partisans of Islamic Law).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan