`US intercepts Iranian order for attack on its interests in Iraq`
Washington: The United States has intercepted an order from an Iranian official instructing militants in Iraq to attack US interests in Baghdad in the event the Obama administration launches a military strike in Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The American embassy in Baghdad was a likely target, according to unnamed US officials quoted by the newspaper. The Journal said the officials did not describe the range of potential targets indicated by the intelligence.
In addition, the state department issued a warning on Thursday telling US citizens to avoid all but "essential" travel to Iraq.
President Barack Obama has asked the US Congress to back his plan for limited strikes in response to a chemical weapons attack on civilians that the United States blames on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s forces.
The Journal reported that the Iranian message was intercepted in recent days and came from the head of the Revolutionary Guards` Qods Force. The newspaper said the message went to Iranian-supported Shi`ite militia groups in Iraq.
The Journal reported that the message informed Shi`ite groups to be prepared to respond with force after any US military strike on Syria.
"Travel within Iraq remains dangerous given the security situation," according to the state department`s warning, which replaced an earlier one "to update information on security incidents and to remind US citizens of ongoing security concerns in Iraq, including kidnapping and terrorist violence."
The department said that numerous insurgent groups, including al Qaeda`s Iraq affiliate, remain active and "terrorist activity and sectarian violence persist in many areas of the country at levels unseen since 2008."
It added: "The ability of the embassy to respond to situations in which US citizens face difficulty, including arrests, is extremely limited."
The state department declined immediate comment. The CIA declined comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you