US investigates report of drone spotted in NYC
New York: The FBI and the US Federal Aviation Administration are investigating a pilot`s report that he spotted a small unmanned aircraft near a major New York City airport.
The Alitalia pilot told controllers that he saw the drone as he approached the runway at John F Kennedy International Airport yesterday. The pilot said the aircraft was about 8 kilometres southeast of the airport and was flying at an altitude of about 457 meters.
The pilot reported that the aircraft was about 1 meter long, an FBI spokesman said on Tuesday.
The pilot can be heard on radio calls captured by LiveATC.Net, a website that posts air traffic communications, saying, "We saw a drone, a drone aircraft."
The FAA said the pilot did not take evasive action and the plane landed safely.
Some remote-controlled planes flown by hobbyists are longer than 1 meter. Under FAA rules, model planes are restricted to altitudes of 121 meters or less.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie