US military investigates abuse video
Washington: US Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos has appointed a general to investigate and take any action stemming from a video of abuse by four Marines, the Pentagon said Friday.
The video, circulated on internet, appears to show four Marines urinating on the corpses of enemy fighters in Afghanistan, said Xinhua.
Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, commander of Marine Corps Forces Central Command, is officially designated as the "consolidated disposition authority" for the allegations surrounding the video.
Waldhauser`s investigation will be conducted in coordination with the ongoing Naval Criminal Investigative Service probe into the incident.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Thursday condemned the video, saying the behaviour depicted in the video is "utterly deplorable", and he ordered the Marine Corps and the International Security Assistance Force to investigate.
"Those found to have engaged in such conduct will be held accountable to the fullest extent," Panetta said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka