US Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf
Manama: The US Navy says one of its guided-missile destroyers collided with an oil tanker early on Sunday but that no one was injured in the accident.
The collision involving the USS Porter and the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 am local time, the US Navy said in a statement.
The damage to the Porter is being evaluated and the incident is under investigation, the Navy added.
The USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the US 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain.
The Strait of Hormuz, located at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, is where one-fifth of the world`s oil is routed.
Tensions have risen there over Iran`s threats to block tanker traffic in retaliation for tighter sanctions by the West.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees