`US-Pakistan ties close to collapse`
Beijing: The death of two dozen Pakistani soldiers in a NATO attack was a "symbolic event indicating the progressive deterioration" of US-Pakistan bilateral ties, a Chinese daily said Sunday.
Pakistan reacted to the Nov 26 NATO air strike by closing the supply lines for US and NATO troops and also demanded American troops to leave the Shamsi air base in the country.
"This is the worst setback for the US-Pakistan anti-terrorism coalition since its establishment 10 years ago, and also a symbolic event indicating the progressive deterioration of US-Pakistan relations after the (Raymond) Davis case and the death of Osama bin Laden earlier this year," the People`s said wrote in an opinion piece.
Davis was a CIA contractor who shot dead two Pakistani men in Lahore. The US government had to intervene after he was arrested.
"The US-Pakistan anti-terrorism coalition is about to collapse," it said, adding that different strategic objectives were the basic causes behind the unsustainable relationship.
"An important reason leading the anti-terrorism coalition to the verge of collapse is that the US follows no rules in its anti-terrorism actions," it said.
"The US always says `rules must be followed` on the one hand, but on the other hand it ignores basic principles of international law while conducting anti-terrorism activities in Pakistan and Afghanistan," it said.
US drones have "recklessly trampled on Pakistan`s sovereignty, security and territorial integrity", and caused casualties of Pakistani civilians as well as soldiers.
The killing of bin Laden by US special troops in May reveals America`s selfishness and distrust in Pakistan, the daily said.
The US never regarded Pakistan as an equal anti-terrorism partner.
Since the beginning of 2011, the Pakistani government has been facing "heavy domestic pressure" about the anti-terrorism alliance.
Pakistani people regard the US crossing of the Pakistani border to kill bin Laden as a "public insult to their country" and have started to question the Pakistani army`s capacity to defend the country.
The relationship between Pakistan and the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has also "dropped to the freezing point", it said.
"If the US does not change its policies and take measures to guarantee Pakistan`s sovereign and security, the alliance will inevitably come to an end," the daily concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly