US ready to face any contingency in Syria: Pentagon
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry met Joint Special UN Representative Lakhdar Brahimi to discuss the situation in Syria, even as the Pentagon said it is prepared for any contingency in the trouble-torn country.
"We are prepared to give the President options for any contingency," US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said at a joint news conference with visiting Japanese counterpart Itsunori Onodera.
A State Department official, giving details of Kerry`s meeting, said the two leaders "reaffirmed the importance of advancing a political solution to the conflict in Syria within the framework of the Geneva communique."
"They discussed assistance to the Syrian opposition, including our support to the SMC, and the ongoing efforts to help consolidate moderate elements of the opposition," the official said.
Kerry appreciated Brahimi`s efforts and reiterated US support for his mission despite the challenging circumstances.
Brahimi also met Hagel at the Pentagon, during which the two leaders discussed the US efforts to provide humanitarian relief to the Syrian people, the official said.
"They also exchanged views on military effectiveness of the Syrian opposition and the role its leaders might play in a political transition," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
Earlier in his joint press conference with Onodera, Hagel stressed that the US should collect enough facts and evidence before taking any affirmative decision.
"I think we should wait and get the facts before we make any judgements on what action, if any, should be taken and what kind of action," Hagel said when asked what kind of action the US was contemplating against Syria.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed