US, Russia play waiting game over Snowden: Report
Moscow: US authorities have stopped pushing Russia to extradite US leaker Edward Snowden, who has been holed up in a Moscow airport for almost three weeks, with the two sides now playing a waiting game, the Interfax news agency reported on Thursday.
"Unlike in the first stage..., the Americans have stopped turning to the Russian side with some kind of request," a source familiar with the situation was quoted as saying by the agency.
"There has not been any request either through official or unofficial channels for several days now," the source told the agency.
"All the interested parties have gone into a wait-and-see mode and the process related to the US request about his extradition has gone on the backburner."
"From all appearances, each side is hoping to come out of this complicated, dead-end situation without losing face."
Stranded in the transit zone of Sheremetyevo Airport since arriving from Hong Kong on June 23, Snowden has applied for asylum in 27 countries in a bid to evade US justice for disclosing the existence of Washington`s electronic surveillance operations on a global scale.
US reporter Glenn Greenwald, who is believed to have been in touch with Snowden in the past days, told a news agency that "he`s anxious about the next step...But feels really good about the debate he provoked".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?