US school shooter was motivated by Norway’s Breivik
Washington: US authorities have said Adam Lanza, who killed six adults and 20 kids at a shooting spree in Connecticut, may have even been obsessed with Anders Breivik, who killed 77 people in 2011, and wanted to top his murder tally.
Authorities said that they have discovered evidence that Lanza targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School because it was the "easiest target" with the "largest cluster of people."
According to the New York Daily News, law enforcement officials investigating Lanza`s tragic December shooting in Newtown told CBS News that he saw himself as a competitor to Breivik, the deranged Norwegian man who killed 77 people in series of attacks in 2011, in a sick imagined mass-murder contest.
Two officials said evidence had been uncovered suggesting that Lanza was determined to top Breivik`s death count.
The officials added that investigators had found credible evidence that Lanza was probably even obsessed with Breivik.
Breivik had detonated a car bomb near the Norwegian government`s headquarters on July 22, 2011, killing eight and injuring more than 200.
Hours later, he opened fire at a summer camp, killing 69, most of whom were teens.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik detonated a car bomb near the Norwegian government`s headquarters in Oslo, killing eight people and injuring more than 200.
Hours later, he opened fire at the annual summer camp of the governing Labor Party`s youth wing, killing 69 people.
Most of the victims were teenagers. He surrendered to police when they arrived at the camp and, in August, was sentenced to 10 to 21 years in prison, the longest allowed under Norwegian law.
According to the report, during his own massacre, Lanza, who may have been mimicking a gory scenario in one of the violent games he loved to play, may have gone on to kill even more people, but he turned one of his guns on himself as police closed in on the school.
The troubled 20-year-old has been described by family friends as a lonely young man who isolated himself in his bedroom for hours, sometimes days, playing graphically violent video games, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid