US to arm Syrian rebels within a month
Washington: The United States will begin shipping arms to Syrian rebels fighting against President Bashar al-Assad within a month.
The Central Intelligence Agency has started moving weapons to Jordan from a network of secret warehouses and planned to start arming small groups of Syrian rebels within a month.
According to the New York Times, the CIA is expected to spend up to three weeks bringing light arms and possibly anti-tank missiles to Jordan.
Talks are under way with other countries, including France, about pre-positioning European-procured weapons in Jordan.
Officials and diplomats said Saudi Arabia is expected to provide shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles, known as Manpads, to a small number of fighters.
Obama had decided to arm Syrian rebels after months of White House opposition to the idea.
Current and former U.S. officials said that Obama`s decision to arm Syrian rebels reflected growing US fears that Assad, bolstered by Iranian and Hezbollah fighters and armed by Russia, will prevail in the conflict, the report said.
Obama took the decision to arm Syrian rebels after urgent appeals by Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other allies for greater US involvement, it added.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success