Vatican warns over Syria `world conflict`
Vatican City: A top Vatican official on Monday warned the war in Syria could escalate into a global conflict, a day after Pope Francis made an impassioned call for peace.
"The Syria conflict has all the ingredients to explode into a war of global dimensions," Monsignor Mario Toso, head of the Vatican`s Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, told Vatican radio.
"The solution to Syria`s problems is not in armed intervention. Violence will not decrease and there is a risk of a conflagration that extends to other countries," he said.
The comments came the United States and France sought to build support for strikes against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime over allegations it used chemical weapons against its own people on August 21.
More than 110,000 people have been killed in Syria since an uprising against the regime began in March 2011, according to activists.
Francis called for a day of fasting and prayer on Saturday for peace in Syria, calling on Christians, believers of other religions and non-believers to take part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan