War with Israel is certain: Iran
Tehran: Iran has acknowledged the probability of war with Israel for the first time, claiming it will destroy the Jewish state.
The statement comes as the United States reaffirmed its commitment to preventing Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
According to The Telegraph, General Mohamed Ali Jafari, chief of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard, predicting that "war will happen" with the Jewish state.
"The shameful and cancerous tumour that is Israel is seeking war against us, but it is not known when that war will happen. They now consider war as the only way to confront us, but they are so stupid that their (US) masters should stop them," he said, speaking at a military exhibition in Tehran.
"If they begin, it will spell their destruction and will be the end of the story, even if they act rationally, this incident will happen," he added, noting that the Islamic revolution is "moving rapidly towards its goals and they (Israel) cannot tolerate this."
According to the report, Iran insists that its nuclear enrichment programme is exclusively for peaceful, civilian purposes, but General Jafari warned ominously that any war with Israel would be ‘very different’ in nature to previous conflicts.
"We are putting all of our efforts into boosting our (military) capability so that, if an aggression occurs, we can defend ourselves and those who need our help," he said.
"We have become more serious in the face of the threats of the enemy against our country,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family