Water supply to Chinese city cut off due to pollution in river
Beijing: Water supply to China`s Handan city, which has over a million people, has been cut off following contamination of local river by industrial pollutants from a chemical plant.
A statement by the city government in Hebei province said the water was cut-off after an accident in the neighboring Shanxi Province where industrial pollutants poured into the upper reaches of the Zhanghe River.
The Shanxi provincial government said a flexible tube rupture at a chemical plant in Changzhi City caused aniline to leak into the Zhuozhang River, the upper reaches of the Zhanghe River, on December 31. The statement did not specify the quantity of the leakage.
Aniline is a toxic chemical widely used as precursors in the manufacture of pigments, herbicides and other chemicals.
Authorities in Shanxi said they received the report on Saturday, and that an emergency response had been initiated to stop the leak and clean up the pollutants.
A statement from the Changzhi City said the accident had not caused casualties so far, and that water quality in the Zhuozhang River was improving.
They said cities along the river, including Handan and Anyang City in Henan Province, have been warned to be on alert, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
The city of Handan has cut off its water supply from Yuecheng Reservoir located on the river and switched to another underground water source.
Air and river water pollution is a common concern in China, which has made big strides in manufacturing industries in the last three decades causing heavy damage to environment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it