When a protester attempted to arrest Tony Blair
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair avoided a citizen`s arrest after a protestor in Hong Kong tried to apprehend him for war crimes.
Tom Grundy, from Wednesbury in the West Midlands, heckled Blair after he began a speech on ``faith and globalisation`` at Hong Kong University (HKU).
The 29-year-old, who runs an ``activism`` and travel website called Global Citizen, said he hoped to ``renew awareness`` about Blair`s role in "war crimes" during the last Iraq war.
"I told him he had misled the British people [and] caused the deaths of at least 100,000 innocent people," The Telegraph quoted Grundy, who has lived in Hong Kong for seven years, as saying.
"I wanted to keep up the pressure in terms of people conducting citizens arrests [on Mr Blair] around the world," Grundy added, claiming that the attempted arrest was supported by Hong Kong law and based on alleged violations of the Nuremburg Principles, the UN Charter and the Geneva Convention.
"He was talking about faith and globalisation and I concluded by saying that he couldn`t speak about religion because he has set religious tolerance back decades. For him to speak about religion is hilarious," he added.
Since leaving Number 10 in 2007, Blair, who was in Hong Kong representing his Tony Blair Faith Foundation, has faced a growing number of attempted citizens arrests and public protests. Last month, a protester berated Blair while he was giving evidence at the Leveson inquiry into media culture and ethics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’