Yemen: 100 al Qaeda fighters killed in south
Sanaa: Yemen`s interior ministry says more
than 100 al Qaeda-linked militants have been killed in the
past two days of fighting in the country`s south.
Yesterday`s statement comes as government troops are
waging an offensive in the southern Abyan and Lahj provinces
to rout militants from their hideouts. The area has seen heavy
battles in the past week after two subsequent militant attacks
on Yemeni army bases.
Large swaths in the country`s south have been overrun by
al-Qaeda and other militant groups who have taken advantage of
Yemen`s yearlong political turmoil.
The ministry`s figure could not be independently
confirmed. Earlier figures reported by a news agencysaid nearly 50 militants were killed in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'