Yemen: 100 al Qaeda fighters killed in south
Sanaa: Yemen`s interior ministry says more
than 100 al Qaeda-linked militants have been killed in the
past two days of fighting in the country`s south.
Yesterday`s statement comes as government troops are
waging an offensive in the southern Abyan and Lahj provinces
to rout militants from their hideouts. The area has seen heavy
battles in the past week after two subsequent militant attacks
on Yemeni army bases.
Large swaths in the country`s south have been overrun by
al-Qaeda and other militant groups who have taken advantage of
Yemen`s yearlong political turmoil.
The ministry`s figure could not be independently
confirmed. Earlier figures reported by a news agencysaid nearly 50 militants were killed in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley