Yemen intelligence officer killed in flashpoint city
Aden: Gunmen shot dead a Yemeni intelligence officer on Monday in Mukalla, a provincial capital where al Qaeda-linked militants briefly seized an army headquarters and took hostages last week, a security source said.
Men on motorcycles fired seven times at Colonel Abdullah al-Tamimi in the Fuah district, killing him on the spot, before fleeing the scene, the source said.
Mukalla is the capital of the southeastern province of Hadramawt and is a major port city.
On September 30, gunmen from the al Qaeda-affiliated Ansar al-Sharia group seized an army headquarters there after a suicide bomber rammed a car into the entrance.
The army soon retook most of the building, except for the top floor, where the militants held the soldiers captive.
Days later, troops assaulted the top floor in an operation in which the government said all the gunmen and an unspecified number of hostages died.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has intensified its attacks on security forces in Yemen, mainly in its lawless southern and eastern provinces, where jihadist groups are active.
The Islamist network has taken advantage of the weakening of the central government since a popular uprising that toppled president Ali Abdullah Saleh in 2011.
Washington regards AQAP as the global jihadist network`s most dangerous affiliate and has stepped up drone strikes targeting the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened