Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Rs 2000 notes, which were so far available only through banks, will soon be disbursed through ATMs too. The Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das, on Mondy announced that more ATMs are getting recalibrated to disburse new Rs 2000 notes, and it is expected that recalibrated machines will begin disbursing these new notes in the next two days or so.
This may be good news, but remember that conmen and scammers have already started taking advantage of the little-to-no-knowledge about the new currency to the common man.
Chikkamagaluru town police have registered a complaint under Section 420 (cheating) of the Indian Penal Code, and are on the lookout for the culprits. A man traded the Rs 2000 note in APMC mandi. The note was fake, and the trader was cheated by a photocopy of the Rs 2000 note, trimmed using scissors on the edge.
As more new notes become available to more people, the possibilities of forgery may also rise.
These are the features you have to keep in mind before you accept Rs 2000 note from anyone other than through ATMs or banks
Here are the salient features of the Rs 2000 notes:
1. See through register with denominational numeral 2000
2. Latent image with denominational numeral 2000
3. Denominational numeral २००० in Devnagari
4. Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the centre
5. Micro letters ‘RBI’ and ‘2000’ on the left side of the banknote
6. Windowed security thread with inscriptions ‘भारत’, RBI and 2000 on banknotes with colour shift. Colour of the thread changes from green to blue when the note is tilted
7. Guarantee Clause, Governor’s signature with Promise Clause and RBI emblem towards right
8. Denominational numeral with Rupee Symbol, ₹2000 in colour changing ink (green to blue) on bottom right.
9. Ashoka Pillar emblem on the right Mahatma Gandhi portrait and electrotype (2000) watermarks
10. Number panel with numerals growing from small to big on the top left side and bottom right side For visually impaired Intaglio or raised printing of Mahatma Gandhi portrait, Ashoka Pillar emblem, bleed lines and identity mark.
11. Horizontal rectangle with Rs 2000 in raised print on the right
12. Seven angular bleed lines on left and right side in raised print
13. Year of printing of the note on the left
14. Swachh Bharat logo with slogan
15. Language panel towards the centre
16. Motif of Mangalayan
17. Denominational numeral 2000 in Devnagari
18. Dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm × 166 mm