`Out of favour` Oz batsman Khawaja likely to get Ashes recall
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) chairman of selectors, John Inverarity has hinted that out of favour Test batsman Usman Khawaja might earn a recall in the team during the all important Ashes series this year.
It would end an agonizing wait for Khawaja, who was one of four players dropped for not doing team homework in India and the only one not to be recalled for the last Test.
Inverarity dropped a broad hint that Khawaja, dropped for disciplinary reasons in India, would play a leading role in England, saying the batsman has a good technique against pace bowling and is certainly in contention for a top-six batting place in the Ashes.
Inverarity added Steve Smith was preferred to Khawaja in India because of his ability to play spin, adding there is a real chance he will get a chance in the top six at the Ashes and they hope his resolve is deep and he does really well.
Inverarity agreed the likely balance of Australia`s Ashes squad would be seven batsmen, two spinners, two keepers and six fast bowlers, with perhaps an all rounder taking one of the specialist spots.
Inverarity said positives out of the Indian tour included the lower-order batting, Smith`s composure, James Pattinson`s class and the fact that Mitchell Starc had had his surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda